The Technical University Teachers’ Association of Ghana (TUTAG) is a labour union of the teaching and library staff of the various Technical Universities in the country. Presently, there are ten Technical Universities in Ghana. With the coming into force of the Technical Universities Act, 2016 (Act 922) and the Technical Universities (Amendment) Act, 2018 (Act 974), the existing Technical Universities were established from the ten Polytechnics. TUTAG used to be the Polytechnic Teachers’ Association of Ghana (POTAG).
TUTAG is a company incorporated under the Companies Act, 2019 (Act 992). TUTAG therefore has a legal personality which can sue and be sued in its name.
TUTAG is the mouthpiece of its members. It has the bargaining certificate and it also seeks the general welfare of its members.
Every Technical University holds a chapter of TUTAG. Koforidua Technical University Chapter is one of such chapters.
TUTAG or POTAG has always had presence in the then Koforidua Polytechnic which was established in 1997. Koforidua Polytechnic was part of the first six Polytechnics to be made Technical University in 2016 and it became Koforidua Technical University.
TUTAG KTU Chapter is headed by a five member Executive Committee comprising the Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Secretary, Organising Secretary, and Financial Secretary. There is a National Executive Committee who report to Congress which is the highest decision making body of the Union.
TUTAG KTU Chapter runs an investment fund where credit is advanced to members and non-members who may apply from time to time.
The mission of the TUTAG KTU Chapter includes
- to cater for the welfare of members of the association;
- to co-operate with the Management and Council of Koforidua Technical University in working for the achievement of the institutional goals of the Technical University;
- to work for the establishment of working conditions that will enhance job satisfaction and promote excellence in the Technical University;
- to work with the Technical University Teachers’ Association of Ghana (TUTAG) for satisfactory conditions of service for all members in the Technical Universities of Ghana; and
- to promote the professional competence and capacity of members.